Hair is an important aspect that shapes your face and even your personality. To some people, hair means a great deal and they do a lot to take care of it. But long hair doesn’t always mean that it is the ideal kind of hair. Not the length, but it is the hair texture that defines whether it is in good condition or not. Some people have hair that naturally grows long even without regular oiling or any additional care. Hair texture is considered to be the circumference of your hair and each hair type has its own specific texture. Hair kinds are broadly classified into three categories namely- straight, wavy and curly. Similarly, hair textures are also of three kinds which are thin, medium or thick. The kind of treatment your hair requires solely depends upon the kind of hair you have and the texture of it. Now that you know the basics of hair, we, in this article will answer some of the most commonly asked questions about hair. Continue reading to see if one of your queries is also answered and check out the Perfect Guide for Natural Hair Care!
How Does Hair Texture Change?
Contrary to what most people believe, your hair texture has very little to do with your age. However, factors such as your eating habits, how often you use chemical dyes or heat products on your hair or even stress can affect the texture of your hair. Other factors that contribute to change of hair texture are genes and hormonal changes, pregnancy and even iron deficiency. A lot of times, our hair resembles our parents. If thin hair runs in your family then you are likely to start facing thinning of hair as soon as you hit puberty. This is usually termed as genetic predisposition. Menopause is the time that marks the end of your menstrual cycles. It occurs to women in their late 40s or 50s. Menopause can also be an important factor that can be responsible for the change of hair texture.
How to Fight Hair Texture Changes?
Change Your Hairstyle
The best way to take care of your hair when its texture is changing is to also change your hairstyle. There are hairstyles specific for every hair texture which also suit many face shapes. Don’t be scared of letting go of a couple of inches. Remember, it is always better to have short but healthy hair rather than long unhealthy hair.
Fringe It Out
If you’re facing thinning of hair due to puberty or old age, it’s the best time to fringe it out! Don’t shy away from it. Fringes have the ability to frame your face and let’s face it, they look really cool too! They add volume to your hair and have a more put-together appeal.
Maintain Whatever You Have
Change of hair texture is natural so the ideal thing to do is come to terms with it and take care of whatever you have. Some people just can’t grow hair no matter how well they take care of it so we suggest you treasure whatever you have. Eat good food, oil and wash your hair regularly and try avoiding chemical treatments as they critically damage your hair.
How Can Hair Be Improved Naturally?
Know Your Hair
To have an effective hair care routine, you need to understand your hair type first. For example, if you have dandruff issues or an oily scalp then you might want to stay away from coconut oil as it can trigger it all the more.
Massaging your hair once or twice with warm oil that suits your hair type best is a good way to increase blood circulation of your scalp which in turn can promote hair growth and can improve your hair’s quality in total.
Pick Your Hair Products Carefully
Just because a lot of people are using a specific product and recommend it does not mean it’s going to suit you as well. When picking out hair products, choose the one that meets your requirement. For example the market today is full of products that are specifically made for coloured hair or for treating dandruff or thinning of hair issues. Hence, read the ingredients and the function of the hair products before adding them to your cart.
Wash And Brush
Ideally, it is recommended to wash your hair twice a week to get rid of all the dirt accumulated in the scalp due to pollution or excessive product built up. Brush your hair thoroughly and detangle it. Tangled hair is the most important reason behind the breakage of hair. Be gentle to your hair and don’t get mad at it!
Hair masks are an additional step to your hair care routine but they are totally worth it. These masks are packed with goodness and can help treat your hair. You can purchase hair masks from the market or can even make yours at home by adding the ingredients that help solve your hair issues. A hair mask is supposed to be kept on for 30-45 minutes for it to perform and then wash it off.
A lot of people don’t know but one effective way of growing hair is by trimming the ends regularly and getting rid of the split ends. The ends face most of the damage and its roughness can degrade the quality of your hair.
Which Foods Help Better The Quality Of Your Hair?
Incorporating these foods in your diet can contribute to improving your hair texture:
Protein: Spinach, eggs, avocado, nuts etc.
Omega 3: Flaxseeds, chia seeds, fish, walnuts, brussels, sprouts.
Vitamin A: Broccoli, most dark green, leafy vegetables.
Iron: Beans and lentils, tofu, Baked potatoes, cashews.
What Are Some Great Home Remedies to Improve Hair Texture?
- Eggs: Whip two eggs and apply it to your hair. Make sure it reaches your scalp because that is what needs the most protein for strong hair.
- Yoghurt: It is great for cleansing the scalp and clearing away the dead skin cells to help your hair grow properly. It can also treat dandruff.
- Coconut oil: For centuries, coconut oil has been used by people all around the world for various purposes, especially hair.Read this elaborate blog on How To Get Gorgeous Hair With Coconut Oil for more info.
- Almond oil: Massage your hair with warm almond oil once a week or rub a little in the palm of your hands and apply it to the ends post hair wash. It acts as a serum and adds gloss and shine to your hair.
- Amla: Amla hair oil, as well as powder, is great for your hair. The Vitamin C of amla produces collagen protein which helps in stimulating hair growth, both length and volume-wise.To know more about the Benefits of Ayurvedic Amla Hair Oil, refer to this blog.
- Onion Juice: Onion has high sulphur content in this which is great for hair growth. Companies have now started incorporating it as an active ingredient in many of their hair products. You can also make it at home. Just dice some onions, blend it in a grinder and juice out the residue. You can also add a few drops of essential oil to beat its pungent smell. Leave it on for 30 minutes and wash it off.