Hair salons are closed amid COVID-19 lockdown. But, your hair doesn’t understand that. Since it is the crowning glory of your head, you must take matters into your own hands. Stop waiting for the lockdown to be lifted and utilize this time by following a simple, yet effective home haircare regime. Your beautiful locks will thank you for it.
So, here are a few haircare tips that you can consider to keep your hair healthy and shiny even without the help of professional hairstylists. These tips include everything from what hair oil you should use to what you should eat. The best part? You can follow this regime even after the lockdown is lifted.
Keep Yourself Hydrated
This should be easy. Given that the weather is hot and you are probably working from home, you are going to feel thirsty. But, besides drinking a minimum of 3ltrs of water, you should also add coconut water to your diet. Coconut water helps in keeping the body hydrated and cool as it contains electrolytes. Electrolytes helps in moving nutrients into the cells of the hair follicle. Other than this, you can also drink fruit juices.
Maintain a Balanced Diet for Healthy Hair
The thing is, it is not always about the hair products that you apply on your hair, but also about the kind of food you are consuming. After all, what goes inside of you is what reflects above. So, if you are not eating nutritious food, you will find that your hair is looking thin, dull and lackluster. Even your skin will start to appear dull, dry and tired.
To maintain the health of your hair, include the following to your diet:
- Cottage cheese, yoghurt, ghee, poultry, eggs, lentils, legumes, limited amounts of soy and green beans – this will balance the protein level in your body and replenish keratin in your hair.
- Omega 3 fatty acids (non-vegetarians can consume fish and vegetarians can include olive oil, avocados, walnuts and flaxseeds) – this will prevent the hair follicles and scalp from drying, and promote hair growth.
- Eggs, oatmeal, beans and shrimps – these contain zinc and helps in improving the thickness and texture of hair.
- Brown rice, crabs, mushrooms, sunflower seeds and whole grain eye – selenium is found in these food items and this trace element helps in protecting the tissue of the scalp from oxidation.
Additionally, don’t forget to eat your greens. For ensuring hair growth and hair strength, your body needs minimum of 18mg of iron.
Massage your hair with hot/warm oil
Remember how your grandma/mom used to give you hot oil massages? It’s time to revisit your childhood.
Massaging warm oil can do wonders to your hair and scalp. It can improve the texture and health of your hair, provide hydration and stimulate the hair follicles. For this, here are a few hair oils that you can use.
- Argan oil: Even though argan oil is not a native to India, it has become quite popular here. This oil is extracted from argan tree’s kernels and has the goodness of vitamin E. Argan oil is a perfect moisturizer for lackluster and dry hair, which reduces frizz.
- Coconut oil: Coconut hair oil is an age-old remedy and has stood the test of time. This oil works beautifully on all hair types and is easily available. It softens hair, does away with dandruff, promotes hair growth and repairs split-ends. Furthermore, coconut oil prevents hair from losing protein.
- Amla oil: Amla hair oil for women and men helps in strengthening and making hair shine. It helps to prevent breakage and makes it easy to manage frizzy, brittle hair.
Apart from these, you can also use other hair oils like, jojoba, olive, avocado and castor.
Pro tip: After you have massaged your hair with hot oil, wrap a hot towel around your head. This will make the oil deeply nourish your scalp and hair.
Prepare and apply an egg hair mask
Fair warning, an egg mask is going to smell. But, if you can get past that, an egg mask is one of the most powerful remedies for health hair because it contains B vitamins.
For this mask, you have to use both the white and the egg yolk. The yolk helps to moisturize dry locks and also provide hair nutrients. Here’s how to prepare and apply the mask.
- Crack open 2 eggs in a bowl
- Beat them well
- Apply it all over your scalp and hair
- Leave it on for 10 minutes
- Rinse it off properly using water and wash it using your regular shampoo & conditioner
You can also add honey and coconut oil to this mask to make your hair strong and shiny. Make sure to use this mask at least 3 times in a week for the best results.
Create onion juice for your hair
Onion juice contains a lot of nutrients. It is beneficial for hair growth, as well as, re-growth. Also, onion juice has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties, which helps to keep the scalp free from infection. The Sulphur content in the juice prevents hair from breaking and becoming brittle. The antioxidants prevent graying of hair.
For this, all you have to do is squeeze onion juice out of 3 onions and apply it all over your hair and scalp. Leave the juice on for at least 5 minutes and rinse it off. You can add a few drops of peppermint or lavender oil to the juice if you find the smell of the juice too pungent.
There has never been a better time to pamper yourself than now. Locked in your home and running out of ideas to keep yourself busy. Make use of this time to take care of your hair and scalp’s health. Your favorite salon is not going to open in the next few weeks and even UrbanClap might disappoint your home haircare request. Just pull up your sleeves and make use of the aforementioned tips. You will make your friends jealous post-quarantine as you flaunt thick, shiny and healthy hair.