Neck pain has become common among workers due to working from home (thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic), according to NDTV. The onset of musculoskeletal disorders is triggered by poor posture and increased sedentariness. In the same article, Dr. Ashish Jain who is a Consultant Trauma and Orthopedic surgeon at MRC and P.D Hinduja Hospital state that if neck or back pain is left uncontrolled, it can lead to permanent physical disorder.
What is neck pain?
Neck pain is not an uncommon complaint and people have been suffering from neck pain since times immemorial. Neck muscles end up being strained from poor posture and this can be due to hunching over your workbench or leaning over your computer. This is why the ‘tech neck’ syndrome became more common than ever since people starting working from home after the outbreak of the coronavirus. The lack of ergonomic workstations at home is making half the population in the world suffer from neck pain.
Apart from poor posture, osteoarthritis is another common cause of neck pain. Usually, Ayurvedic pain oil is all you need to get rid of your neck pain because this is rarely a symptom of a more severe problem. However, if the pain is accompanied by loss of strength in your arms or a feeling of numbness, medical attention is recommended.
What are the common causes of neck pain?
Your neck supports the weight of your head and it is flexible. It is also vulnerable to injuries, as well as, conditions that might restrict motion and cause pain. Some of the possible causes of neck pain are as follows:
- Muscle strains – Muscle strain or overuse is usually caused when you’re hunched over your smartphone or computer for long hours. You have a poor posture when working, studying or reading or you have a habit of not changing posture for several hours when working at your desk. Muscle strain might also be caused due to improper sleep position or jerking your neck when you’re exercising. Such actions can strain your neck muscles and cause pain.
- Nerve compressions – Bone spurs or herniated disks in your neck’s vertebrae may press on the nerves that are coming out from the spinal cord.
- Neck injury – Your neck is vulnerable to injuries, especially in car accidents, falls and sports. The ligaments and muscles of your neck might be forced to move outside their normal range of motion and that can result in excruciating pain.
- Worn joints – Similar to other joints in your body, your neck joints also have a tendency to wear out with age and overuse. Constant wear and tear is going to affect the joint motion and also cause pain.
Neck pain might also be a result of certain diseases like, meningitis, rheumatoid arthritis or even cancer. To relieve yourself of neck pain, you can apply an Ayurvedic pain balm. Since the bam is made of Ayurvedic ingredients, it doesn’t offer any side-effects.
Home remedies to ease neck pain
If you are experiencing minor neck stiffness and pain, you can take simple steps to relieve it without having to pop pharmaceutical pain relief drugs. Here, take a look at the most effective home remedies for neck pain.
- Gentle neck massage using pain relief balm/oil – One of the best ways to relieve your neck pain instantly is by using pain relief balm in India. These balms or oils are very popular since they’re known to effectively reduce pain and discomfort from the very first application. You need to gently massage your neck while applying the balm. For better results, you can cover the neck area with a piece of cloth. As these balms are made of Ayurvedic, natural ingredients that come with anti-inflammatory and pain relief properties, you can expect to get relief almost instantaneously. Repeated use will give you much better results.
- Place warm or cold packs on the neck – To reduce the pain, you can place cold or warm packs on your neck. You can do this, along with the application of pain relief balm.
- Avoid engaging in activities that might aggravate your neck pain – If you are experiencing neck pain, it is a good idea to take a few days off from sports and other activities that might heighten the symptoms. Resume normal activities when the pain has subsided and you’ve got back normal joint motion.
How to prevent neck pain?
While you can apply pain relief balm when you’re experiencing neck pain and get relief, but it would be great if you can prevent neck pain altogether. However, it is not always possible to prevent neck pain, but you can at least try. Make a conscious effort to do the following:
- Make sure that you maintain a good posture while working, sitting and standing. Your shoulders must be in a straight line over your hips.
- You need to take frequent breaks and not sit in front of a computer or desk for long hours. Also, change your posture while working.
- Avoid carrying bags that are very heavy with straps over your shoulder as much as possible. The excessive weight will not only strain your neck muscles, but also cause backache.
- When you sleep, make use of a good pillow and be sure that your neck and head are aligned with the rest of your body. To flatten your spinal muscles, you can sleep on your back and have your thighs elevated using a pillow.
Even if neck pains rarely lead to something serious, they can severely impact the quality of your life. Pain in your neck can prevent you from completing daily chores. It can also cause you great discomfort when you’re trying to sleep or look left and right. You can get relief from this discomfort by using pain relief oil or balm. What’s more, pain balm uses include offering relief from back pain as well. You just have to massage it properly and apply it where it hurts the most. But, if the pain persists, seek medical attention.